The Arg Gate, which were also called the Bagh Gate (the garden gate), were in the vicinity of the ruling citadel, the Mashgh square and the Kerman governor 's house, was built around the current Arg square.

The Nasseri Gate was the last gate built by the ruler of Kerman (Mohammad Ismail Khan Vakilolmolk) during the Qajar period in 1272 AH / 1856 AD. He mentioned in a report to Naser-al-Din Shah Qajar because the Shahr neighborhood is one of the most important and most demanded neighborhoods in Kerman, and on the other hand, because there is no gate near this neighborhood, and the residents of the neighborhood had to travel a lot to enter and leave the city, He has built a gates near this neighborhood. This gate was located near the end of Nasiriyah Street (Shahid Bahonar), near Khodadad Mehrabi Hospital, to the current location of Abu Hamad Avenue (Child Park), and this gate was named Nasseri gate, as its built was coincided with the reign of Nasser-al-Din Shah Qajar.

Kerman city was called Six Gates City in Qajar period. Six gates were built in different parts of the city, the only way to enter or exit the city was through gates due to the wall built all around the city. The Masjid Gate or Vakil Gate is one of these gates, which located near the Moshtaghieh Square, adjacent to the Kerman’s Jameh Mosque, and was therefore known as the Masjid (mosque) Gate. In the middle of the Qajar period, the gate was repaired by the ruler of the time (Muhammad Isma'il Khan Vakilolmolk), so he also had famous to Vakil gate. It should be noted that the graveyard of the city was behind the gates of The Masjid Gate.

This gate was known as the Khorasani Gate or Gabri Gate. The reason for naming it to Khorasani Gate was because of the fact that the caravans and pilgrims went outside the city through this gate in order to travel to Mashhad in Khorasan province and came back to city. At some point in history, since Zoroastrians were not allowed to reside in Kerman, They settled behind this gate and they had more commute through this gate for shopping or ding their daily tasks, therefore this gate was also called The Gabri (Zoroastrians) Gate. This gate was located around the current Abu Hamad Street (close to Sajjadiyeh Clinic).

In the past, all of Iran's cities were protected by a near-high wall all around the city, due to maintain its security against the attack of the enemies and protecting plundering and possible marauding. Behind the wall, the deep pit dug and filled with water when needed, which called “khandagh” (Moat). The guarded towers were installed at certain distances of the wall to increase the security factor of the city. The photo shows some parts of the old wall and the guarded towers of Kerman, located around the current Arg Square. Among the remarkable points in this photo, is the presence of Haj Ali Akbar Sanati and some of the students of the Sanati orphanage, which originally located in that area.

Page 4 of 4

Designed at the Web 2 Design and Development Center